The "objection period" for the Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/1182 has officially ended without any notification from the European Parliament and Council. The delegated act has therefore become official and the XV ATP (Adaptation to the Technical and Scientific Progress) of the CLP regulation has been promulgated.
The Regulation integrates and partially modifies the "Table of harmonized classifications and labelling", reported in Annex VI, Part 3 of the CLP Reg.
Among the most relevant news, we point out:
- the inclusion of a new harmonized classification for nitric acid solutions in concentrations above and below 70%;
- the modification of the harmonized classification of silicon carbide fibres as Carc. 1B H350;
- the inclusion of a new harmonized classification for granulated copper as Aquatic Chronic 2 H411;
- the inclusion of a new harmonized classification for lactic acid as Skin Corr. 1C H314 and Eye Dam. 1 H318;
- the inclusion of a new harmonized classification of MBIT (2-methyl-1,2-benzothiazol-2 (2H) -one);
- a heavier harmonized classification of D4 (octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane) for environmental hazard (Aquatic Chronic 1 H410);
- a heavier harmonized classification of butanone oxime as Carc. 1B H350 and with the addition of classifications as STOT SE 3 H336, STOT SE 1 H370 (upper respiratory tract), STOT RE 2 H373 (blood system), Skin Irrit. 2 H315 and Eye Dam. 1 H318;
- the addition of a harmonized environmental classification for lead powder: Aquatic Acute 1 H400 M = 1, Aquatic Chronic 1 H410 M = 10.
Two important changes taken in consideration in the draft delegated act, are still under discussion:
- the addition of the environmental harmonized classification also for lead massive (Acute 1 H400 M = 1, Aquatic Chronic 1 H410 M = 10);
- a heavier harmonized classification of 2-butoxyethanol for acute toxicity.
The Risk Assessment Committee (RAC) has decided not to change these classifications until a new revised opinion based on new reliable information is available.
In the end, we remind that the Regulation will apply from 1 March 2022, but, in accordance with art. 2, it is possible to classify, label and package substances and mixtures according to the nodifications introduced by the XV ATP even before the aforementioned date on a voluntary basis.